NOTE: Posts on this blog are based on the one-year calendars/lectionaries of the Western Church found in the traditional Prayer Books.

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Anglo-Catholic?

 At times over the last 45 years, the question has been raised: Are you Anglo-Catholic? Sometimes, I have answered simply, but depending on the circumstances and expectations, the answer might have varied. For example, during decades of Anglican ministry, I have served under seven diocesan bishops, five of whom called themselves Anglo-Catholics, one Old High Churchman, and one low-church Evangelical. My personal theology has some "catholic" emphases: affirmation of the three ancient Creeds, respect for the ancient Fathers and Ecumenical Councils, a "high" view of Baptism and the Eucharist, a determination to follow traditional patterns of liturgy, and a belief in male clergy. In ceremonial and aesthetic matters, I have valued vestments, traditional architecture and furnishings, some bowing, and especially the sign of the cross. 

Nevertheless, I've never been one to "unchurch" others because of non-essential opinions or ceremonies. I can admire certain things about a high pontifical Mass, with chants, bells, and incense, while also respecting a Scripture reading followed by a long evangelical sermon. I can respect a calendar with many special days, such as commemorations of ancient Church Fathers or the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, or a calendar that emphasizes only Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, and Pentecost. I have been edified in services where the clergy wore elaborate lacy vestments, and in services where the preacher wore a plain white shirt and dark suit. Yet, my preference is not for the extremes. I prefer a traditional Western liturgy with basic vestments and minimal but reverent actions. For me, sermons should be less than 20 minutes long,  reference Scripture explicitly, and be clearly structured.

So, am I Anglo-Catholic? It depends on the definition. There are many kinds of "Anglo-Catholics." Ethnically and culturally, I'm Anglo. Theologically and liturgically, I consider myself generally a conservative "catholic" Christian. Yet, sometimes I wonder about the value of "Anglo" as a theological label, and I'm not very extravagant or frilly in my preferred expressions of Christian tradition. What about you, dear reader? Have you recently considered your views on these matters? Where do you stand in theology, liturgy, devotion, aesthetics, etc.? Your answers may be very different from mine, but it is important to examine the ways we think about and express our Christian faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment